iPhone 7 is one of the classic iPhone models known for its productivity and excellence. However, glitches are normal with any electronic device, and your iPhone 7 is no exception. If you are experiencing a blank screen on iPhone 7, you might be unable to use the device.
Don’t worry because you are not the only one who has faced something like this. Users have reported a blank screen on iPhone 7 and other iPhone models, as well. This guide is for you if you want to troubleshoot the issue.
Sometimes, issues can be temporary, and you can eliminate them with a few tweaks. Generally, a software crash or hardware malfunction can lead the iPhone 7 to a blank and dead screen.
Let’s see what you can do to recover from a blank screen on iPhone 7.
Force Restart your iPhone 7
A system error is more likely to appear on older iPhones. It can be an incompatible software or not responding hardware. However, dealing with a system error is not that hard. If it’s a blank screen on iPhone 7, then you should try a forced restart. A forced restart is equivalent to a soft reset and can revive your iPhone’s display.
Follow the guidelines below for a successfully forced restart on your iPhone 7:
- For your information, the single button on the right side of your iPhone 7 is the Sleep/Wake, Power, or Side button. Whereas, Volume buttons are on the left side of the device when you face the device’s display.
- Press and hold the Sleep/Wake (Power) button after you hold the Volume down key of your iPhone 7.
- You are not supposed to release both the buttons until you notice the Apple logo.
Let the iPhone boot up successfully if the Apple logo appears and check if this solves the issue. If you are facing the same situation quite often, something must trigger it. For example, it can be a particular application that might be preventing your iPhone from functioning properly. If this is the scenario, you can uninstall all the recently-installed applications from your device.
Then, you can check if the blank screen on iPhone 7 appears again. On the other hand, you can reset your iPhone 7. Here’s how you can reset an iPhone 7:
- Explore Settings on the home screen.
- Navigate to General by scrolling down.
- Tap General and locate the reset option.
- You can either ‘Reset all settings’ or ‘Erase all content and settings’.
Reset everything on your iPhone 7 only when you have backed up the device. Otherwise, you can proceed to the next step.
Connect the Power Adapter to the iPhone 7
A forced restart might not always help eliminate a blank screen on iPhone 7. If the iPhone has drained all its battery power, then there’s no use of restarting. The iPhone doesn’t have the minimum power to wake up after a restart.
Hence, you should plug the power adapter into a wall socket and connect it to your iPhone 7. However, don’t force restart it immediately after inserting the power adapter. Instead, let it charge for some time; the iPhone 7 will gain power and restore the battery.
It’s better to leave your iPhone 7 on charging for at least an hour. You can extend the duration if you think so. Then, you can restart your iPhone. You should try a forced restart if the iPhone doesn’t boot normally. Go through the previous method for a forced restart on your iPhone 7.
Try Restoring iPhone in iTunes
iTunes can restore your iPhone 7’s functionality if you opt for the recovery mode. Basic troubleshooting might not be enough for resolving complicated and major system errors. In such a situation, restoring an iPhone in recovery mode can help you eradicate a blank screen on iPhone 7.
However, your Windows PC or Mac computer should have iTunes installed. Additionally, the Mac should have the latest macOS version and iTunes’ latest version. Here’s how you can put your iPhone 7 in recovery mode and proceed with the overall process:
- Start with connecting your iPhone 7 to the computer that has iTunes.
- Use the lightning cable or any other compatible USB cable for the wired connection between your iPhone and the computer.
- Afterwards, shut down your iPhone 7 if possible. Otherwise, proceed to the next step.
- Long press the Power button and the Volume Down button altogether.
- You should let go of both once the Recovery Mode screen appears.
The screen must have instructions, such as ‘Connect to iTunes’. Launch iTunes and the application might have detected an iPhone in recovery mode. And, it will ask you to restore the device.
Go through the on-screen instructions to restore your iPhone 7 successfully. Now, test if your device has recovered from a blank screen on iPhone 7.
Restore iPhone 7 Using DFU Mode
Recovery mode is an efficient way to get rid of the blank screen on the iPhone 7. However, it might not always work. Therefore, you should rely on restoring via DFU mode. The default firmware update lets your iPhone sync with iTunes without enabling the bootloader and fixes the corrupted system.
Follow the instructions below to restore the iPhone 7 in DFU mode:
- Connect the computer to your iPhone.
- Hold Power and Volume Down buttons for 8 seconds simultaneously.
- After 8 seconds, you can release the Power button. Keep the Volume Down button held.
The screen should remain black and not be prompted to the recovery mode. iTunes should detect an iPhone in DFU mode, and you can restore the iPhone 7 on iTunes.
Still, Facing a Blank Screen on iPhone 7?
If you are suffering from a blank screen on iPhone 7, then you should consider an expert intervention. You can contact AppleCare+ if your product falls under warranty. Otherwise, you should get it checked by an iPhone repair professional.