Age plays an important factor while reselling any gadget. Based on that, iPhones offer comparatively greater resale value than Android devices. You might not find your iPhone’s box and bill in case you purchased older models, such as iPhone 7, 8, or SE. Without the bill or product box, it’s hard to decide the resale value and tell the age.
How old is my iPhone? If you are thinking the same question, then this guide will help you find out the real age of your iPhone. Apart from the resale, you can get an idea of whether your iPhone is eligible for an upgrade from the iPhone’s actual age.
If it has been more than 4 or 5 years, then it’s worth an upgrade. Let’s check out how you can figure out your iPhone’s real age.
- Use the iPhone Box
How old is my iPhone? It won’t be a stress for those iPhone users who keep the box secure. The box can easily tell you the manufacturing date of your iPhone. The original packaging box should have the International Mobile Equipment Identity or IMEI number mentioned on it.
You can match it with the IMEI number stated inside your iPhone settings. Once you are confirmed the authenticity of your iPhone, you can proceed to find out the manufacturing date of the device. The original packaging box must have a white label on, and it should have the manufacturing date written on it.
You can proceed to the following methods if you have lost the box.
- Check Your iPhone’s Serial Number
This method requires you to learn your iPhone’s serial number. Here’s how you can get the serial number of your iPhone:
- Launch the Settings menu from your iPhone’s Home screen. If it’s not available there, then explore it from the App Library.
- Next, head towards General and tap on About.
- Check out the number mentioned besides the Serial Number entity.
You can press and hold your finger on the Serial Number to copy it to use later. You can implement the manufacturing date from the serial number, but it’s a bit complicated. For example, the fourth character in the serial number offers an idea of the month range or time of the year in which the iPhone was manufactured.
How to Tell the Manufacturing Year from iPhone’s Serial Number?
If the fourth letter is C, then your iPhone was manufactured between January and June. Whereas D represents the range from July to December. C and D were assigned to the iPhones manufactured in 2010.
Here’s the summary of every assigned fourth letter in iPhone’s serial number till 2020:
- 2010 (First half) 一 C
- 2010 (Second half) 一 D
- 2011 (First half) 一 F
- 2011 (Second half) 一 G
- 2012 (First half) 一 H
- 2012 (Second half) 一 J
- 2013 (First half) 一 K
- 2013 (Second half) 一 L
- 2014 (First half) 一 M
- 2014 (Second half) 一 N
- 2015 (First half) 一 P
- 2015 (Second half) 一 Q
- 2016 (First half) 一 R
- 2016 (Second half) 一 S
- 2017 (First half) 一 T
- 2017 (Second half) 一 V
- 2018 (First half) 一 W
- 2018 (Second half) 一 X
- 2019 (First half) 一 Y
- 2019 (Second half) 一 Z
- 2020 (Second half) 一 D
- 2021 (Unknown) 一 J
- 2021 (Unknown) 一 T
In addition, the fifth letter represents the week of manufacturing the iPhone. However, the overall process is quite tricky, and currently, there’s no specific formula to derive the manufacturing data directly from an iPhone’s serial number.
That’s why you can go for the following ways to learn exactly about your iPhone’s real age:
Utilise Apple’s Coverage Support
How old is my iPhone? You can copy the iPhone’s serial number and paste it on Apple’s official coverage page to learn that.
Go through the following guidelines, one by one:
- Copy the serial number of your iPhone.
- Navigate to https://checkcoverage.apple.com using Safari or any other browser.
- Next, paste the serial number in the dedicated space along with typing the captcha provided there.
- Proceed with the Continue button.
The next page will display a summary of your iPhone, coverage, technical support, and more information. You can notice the Coverage End Date, and it’s 1 year later since you purchased and issued your iPhone.
If you had registered your iPhone to AppleCare or AppleCare+, then you need to deduct 2 years from the Coverage End Date.
Go for Apple’s Support Application
As an alternative to the previous method, you can check out your iPhone’s age by monitoring your subscriptions. Here’s how you can do so:
- Open Settings and scroll down until you locate General.
- Tap on General followed by About.
- Next, select AppleCare Services. If you have the Apple Support App, then open it. Otherwise, you need to get it from the App Store and then explore it.
- Tap Device details and check out the warranty expiration date from the Coverage Information.
You need to subtract 1 or 2 years from the expiration date in case you have standard or AppleCare service registered, respectively.
- Use SNDeepInfo
How old is my iPhone? Apart from Apple services, you can consider third-party services to get your iPhone’s accurate age. After all, your iPhone’s manufacturing date is not the exact date you purchased it. And, Apple services show you the date of purchase.
SNDeepInfo is a useful website that lets you know the exact date the iPhone was manufactured. You will need your iPhone’s serial number and use it in the following way:
- Start by copying your iPhone’s serial number.
- After that, you have to browse https://sndeep.info/en.
- Next, you must select the Apple option and paste the iPhone’s serial number.
- Click the ‘Show Info’ button.
This will show you the manufacturing year and week when your iPhone was produced.
- Visit Chipmunk Klantenservice
Here’s another third-party tool that you can use to check out how old your iPhone is. You need to copy the serial number of your iPhone. Next, go through the following steps:
- Navigate to Safari or any compatible web browser.
- Enter the following web address: https://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.
- After that, paste your iPhone’s serial number in the dedicated area.
- Now, hit the button that says, ‘Show the Information’.
All the information regarding your iPhone’s production year and week will be displayed on the next page. You can easily calculate the exact manufacturing date from that information.
- Check out iUnlocker
Another third-party tool that you can use to see your iPhone’s production date is iUnlocker. You can use either the IMEI or the serial number of your iPhone to know your iPhone’s purchase date.
Follow the steps below to get precise information regarding your iPhone’s age:
- Launch Safari, Google Chrome, or any browser on your iPhone.
- Next, visit the following web address: https://iunlocker.com/check_imei.php.
- You need to provide the IMEI or a serial number of your iPhone in the dedicated area.
- Afterwards, tap on the Check button.
- Wait for a while until all the information becomes visible.
- Notice the purchase date and other valuable information associated with your iPhone.
How old is my iPhone? Hopefully, the guide helped you figure that out. Apart from the manufacturing date, you must keep your iPhone’s battery, and overall health optimised to get a decent resale value.