iPhones are best known for their feasible features and user-friendliness. It’s easy to switch between ring and silent modes on iPhones. Moreover, users can promptly make their iPhones silent while attending any meeting using the dedicated switch. On the other hand, they can instantly unmute iPhones on the go.
However, it might be a little confusing for those who have recently purchased iPhones and never had an iOS device before. How to unmute iPhones? If you have the same question on your mind, then this guide will clear all your doubts.
Let’s see how you can unmute your iPhone in the easiest ways possible.
How to Unmute iPhones?
iPhone offers majorly 2 ways to unmute iPhones. One is through the ring or silent switch. Other ways are through the iPhone settings.
Let’s check out how to unmute iPhones:
- Use the Ring/Silent Switch
Apple introduced the dedicated Ring/Silent switch with the advent of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S. You can mute or unmute your iPhone through the ring/silent switch only if your iPhone has one.
Here is the complete list of iPhones that have the ring/silent switch:
- iPhone 6 and 6S
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
- Apple iPhone 8 and 8 Plus
- Apple iPhone SE (1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation)
- iPhone X, XS, XS Max, and XR
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max
- Apple iPhone 12 Mini, 12, 12 Pro, and 12 Pro Max
- Apple iPhone 13 Mini, 13, 13 Pro, and 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 14, 14 Plus, 14 Pro, and 14 Pro Max
The ring/silent switch resides on the left side of the iPhone with its screen facing you. You can locate the switch just above the volume buttons.
How to unmute iPhones using the ring/silent switch? Slide the switch up to unmute your iPhone. Your iPhone will instantly enter ring mode.
To mute the iPhone, simply push the switch down, and you’re good to go.
- Use iPhone Settings
Is your iPhone stuck on mute, and there’s no ring/silent switch? Not every iPhone comes with a ring/silent switch. If you own iPhone 5 or earlier variants, then it’s not possible to unmute your device with the ring/silent switch.
Check out how to unmute iPhones if they are iPhone 6 or earlier:
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Next, navigate to Sounds.
- Adjust the Volume slider under the column named RINGER AND ALERTS.
- You can customise sounds for different features such as ringtone, text tone, new mail, new voicemail, and more.
- Tap on the specific alert type that you want to modify. Adjust the volume slider and ensure you don’t keep it at the extreme left.
- Slide it to the right as much louder as the alert you want it to be.
Positioning the volume slider of any alert to its extreme left will keep that alert silent. Therefore, you have to raise the volume to unmute your iPhone. You can unmute your iPhone and adjust the alert volume using Settings on the latest iPhones too.
Here’s what you can follow:
- Tap Settings from your iPhone’s Home screen. You can also open Settings from the App Library.
- Tap on Sounds & Haptics from the Settings menu.
- Now, you can adjust the volume alerts and their volume settings with the slider available under RINGER AND ALERTS.
- Moreover, you can enter specific alert types to modify your settings and volume configurations.
- Utilise Assistive Touch on iPhones
Apart from the above straightforward processes, you can use the iPhone’s innovative feature called Assistive Touch. This is helpful under certain circumstances.
For example, how to unmute iPhones when the ring/silent switch is damaged? You can set up the Assistive Touch feature and manage unmute and mute functions.
Follow the steps below to learn how to unmute iPhones through Assistive Touch:
- Launch the Settings application on your iOS device.
- After that, navigate to Accessibility and tap on it.
- Tap on the Touch option.
- Ensure that Assistive Touch is turned on. Otherwise, toggle the feature on. This will bring a virtual button on your iPhone screen.
- Now, go back to the Home screen or any other screen.
- Tap on the virtual or Assistive Touch button.
- Next, tap the Device option.
- Continue with tapping on the Unmute option if your iPhone is on mute.
Similarly, you can mute your iPhone using the same Assistive Touch feature onwards.
- Try Control Centre
Besides the above-mentioned methods, you can navigate to your iPhone’s Control Centre to unmute the device. The Control Centre of your iPhone consists of a bell icon that helps in the following situations:
- There’s no ring/silent switch on your iPhone.
- The ring/silent switch is damaged.
- You haven’t configured the ring/silent switch for orientation lock on older iPhone models.
Here’s how to unmute iPhone through Control Centre:
- Bring up the Control Centre on your iPhone. For older models, you have to slide the screen up from the bottom-middle portion. Otherwise, you have to drag the screen down from the top of the display to land on the Control Centre.
- Tap on the bell icon to mute or unmute your iPhone accordingly.
Remember that this option is not available in all iPhone models. You can go for other alternatives to unmute your iOS device easily.
How to Unmute iPhones for Alarms?
For an undisturbed sleep routine, most users prefer silent devices. Additionally, it’s important to set alarms on your iPhone to wake up early and maintain your regime.
You might be curious whether muting your iPhone will deactivate the alarm you set. Luckily, it turns out that alarms work perfectly fine even when your iPhones are silent.
Therefore, you need not worry about your alarms when your iPhone is still mute. Additionally, you don’t have to unmute your iPhone to set the alarm. However, some users have complained about the low volume of alarms.
Go through the guidelines below to raise your alarm volume on the iPhone:
- Enter Settings on your iPhone and navigate to Sounds & Haptics.
- Locate the RINGER AND aLERTS section and the volume slider there.
- Increase the alert volume by sliding the bar to its right position.
How to Unmute Calls from Particular Contacts?
You might like to keep your iPhone silent most of the time. However, you can customise your iPhone to ring only when your permitted contacts call you. You need to enable a special feature called Emergency Bypass when you have set your device in silent or Do Not Disturb mode.
Go through the steps below to do so:
- Navigate to Contacts on your device.
- Locate the contact for which you want to apply the changes.
- Tap on that contact and opt for the Edit option.
- Tap the Ringtone option and turn on the Emergency Bypass option.
You have to repeat the entire process for individual contacts. And, calls from them will ring even when your iPhone is silent.
Hopefully, the guide helps you learn how to unmute iPhones. Using the ring/silent switch or slider is the easiest way to deal with mute/unmute situations. Otherwise, you can use Settings and Assistive Touch to unmute your iPhone.
You can also adjust the volume intensity with your iPhone volume buttons if you keep the ‘Change with buttons’ option enabled under Sounds & Haptics.