The short answer is No. The iPhone 11 Pro Max is not waterproof, but it is water-resistant. This means that the phone can withstand a certain level of exposure to water, but it cannot tolerate a complete immersion situation.
In this article, we will explain what water resistance and waterproofing mean, how the iPhone 11 Pro Max’s water resistance works, and what to do if your iPhone 11 Pro Max gets wet.
Understanding Water Resistance and Waterproofing
Water resistance and waterproofing are two different concepts that are often confused. Water resistance means that a device can resist the penetration of water to some degree, but not entirely. Waterproofing means that a device can prevent the ingress of water completely, even under high pressure or depth.
One way to measure the water resistance of a device is by using the IP rating system. Here, IP stands for Ingress Protection, and it consists of two digits. The first digit indicates the level of protection against solid particles, which includes dust or sand. The second digit indicates the level of protection against liquids, which includes water or oil. So, the higher the digits, the better would be the protection.
For example, an IP68 rating means that a device is dust-tight and can survive being submerged in more than 1 meter of water for a specified time, depending on the manufacturer.
iPhone 11 Pro Max’s Water Resistance – Discussion
The iPhone 11 Pro Max has an IP68 rating, which is the highest level of water resistance among the iPhone models. According to Apple, the iPhone 11 Pro Max can survive being submerged in up to 4 meters of water for up to 30 minutes.
However, this does not indicate that the iPhone 11 Pro Max is waterproof. It only means that it can resist water under certain conditions. Apple also warns that the water resistance of the iPhone 11 Pro Max may decrease over time due to normal wear and tear and that it does not cover water damage under the warranty.
Therefore, you should not intentionally expose your iPhone 11 Pro Max to water, especially salt water, chlorinated water, or other liquids that may corrode or damage the device. You should also avoid using your iPhone 11 Pro Max in wet environments, such as bathrooms, showers, or swimming pools.
What can You Do if Your iPhone 11 Pro Max Gets Wet?
If your iPhone 11 Pro Max gets wet accidentally, you should take the following steps immediately to minimize the potential damage:
- Turn off your iPhone 11 Pro Max and remove any accessories, such as cases, headphones, or chargers. With a soft, lint-free cloth, gently wipe your iPhone 11 Pro Max to remove any excess water or moisture.
- Do not use any heat sources, such as hair dryers, microwaves, or ovens, to dry your iPhone 11 Pro Max, as they may cause further damage or fire.
- Do not insert any objects, such as cotton swabs, paper towels, or SIM ejectors, into the openings of your iPhone 11 Pro Max, as they may damage the internal components or push the water further inside.
- Place your iPhone 11 Pro Max in a well-ventilated area and let it dry completely before turning it on again. Depending on the extent of the water exposure, this may take several hours or days.
- Contact Apple or an authorized service provider for assistance, if your iPhone 11 Pro Max does not turn on or function properly after drying. You may have to pay a fee for the repair or replacement, as water damage is not covered by the warranty.
The IP rating system does not indicate or guarantee that a device is waterproof. It only tests the device under controlled laboratory conditions, and it does not account for factors such as temperature, pressure, movement, or impact. Therefore, a device with a high IP rating may still be damaged by water in real-world situations.